Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sugar Shock

I made a few commitments for this week:
Financial accountability went to hell over the weekend which deserves another post (and Easter pics!).  Yesterday was day one of the mile challenge while is broken up into two 15-minute walks (we almost forgot the second walk).  The low-calorie bit I kind of scoffed at since I'd already been doing it for three weeks.  It was mostly for Jeff's benefit.

And then yesterday went to hell in a hand basket very, very quickly.

I had decided Monday morning to work an hour of overtime to help finish out the month strong on my project front and then go straight to bellydance class from the office.  I felt fine all day, although I was short nearly 400 calories I'm used to getting from part of my lunch/afternoon snack.  About 10 minutes before my normal quitting time my blood sugar dropped dramatically.  Usually it creeps up, but this was super sudden.  I felt really ill and decided to go home and have a snack before jetting off to class (this makes no sense as I have plenty of snacks at the office).  I walked out the door and had a lot of trouble getting to my car that was a mere 30 feet from the office door.  On the drive home I had trouble breathing and started shaking and sweating, like I was going into some kind of shock.  I remember I could feel the pores on my shins sweating.  It was the strangest feeling in the world.  

When I got home, I grabbed some Coke out of the fridge (my mom's old standby when she would have issues from her hypoglycemia) and some tortilla chips, I even made a black bean and cheddar quesadilla.  I inhaled EVERYTHING.  I felt dizzy and my head pounded, but I could breath properly and the sweating had stopped.  I tried to take a nap to shrug off the icky feeling.

When Jeff came home, he brought some peanut butter up to our room for me to try.  It was delicious and helped me feel a little bit better, but I was still ravenously hungry.  On request, he made us some shrimp saag out of left over spinach from the previous week.  It was a little too soupy, but very tasty and the heat from the cayenne seemed to help level out my blood sugar and my body mellowed out a lot.  But I was freezing, as if I had lost a lot of blood.  So I bundled up for a few hours until my body heat stabilized and then I could feel how stuffy the house was (Jeff had been complaining about it being too warm earlier in the evening).

To top it all off, I couldn't sleep.  My mind wasn't even that overly active and it's not like the nap I took earlier was so significant.  So now I'm exhausted and achy.

I have a more complete lunch fare today so I'm hoping for no repeats of yesterday.  I haven't had blood sugar issues like that since I was in my late teens or early twenties (you know, that age when you're too busy chasing fun to stop and pay attention for any length of time).  Hopefully I won't ever experience that kind of crap again.


PS_Iloveyou said...

OMG I can't believe you drove home like that! Next time come and get me. Michael could have picked me up while I took care of you. Thats WAY Scary!!

PS_Iloveyou said...

P.S. I'm really glad you're okay!!!!

Mica said...

@PS_Iloveyou: Thanks. I'm sorry! If I knew it was as bad as it was I would have asked for help. I'm stubborn and stupid!