Thursday, June 23, 2011

30 Day Shred Challenge

My best friend Cynthia and I started Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred on Tuesday (I got excited and technically started on Monday, but we're counting from Tuesday because that's when she got her copy of the DVD).

Before her wedding, we promised each other we'd help one another get fit this summer.  Since we live on opposite ends of the town and Fresno summers are too hot to walk on our lunch and breaks, we agreed that following a DVD on our own would be the best course of action.  Whoever wins is treated by the other to a mani/pedi!

For the next 30 days, without exception, I will be busting my butt!

Today is Day 3 of the challenge (day 4 for me).  Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred contains three different workouts each increasing in difficultly.  Although if you know anything about Jillian Michaels, she is never not difficult.  In fact, I'm pretty sure she must hate me.  Or maybe I hate myself for letting her beat me up everyday.  Each 20 minute workout includes a warmup, three circuits of strength/cardio/abs, and then a cool down.

You think, "Sure!  Twenty minutes is EASY!"  You would be mistaken.

Did I mention that I think Jillian hates me?  My body is sore!  But I'm enjoying it.  I started on the "easiest" workout.  Cynthia is doing a 14 week challenge for the duration of the summer and I might cover that 14 weeks by doing 30 days of each workout.  Initially I just wanted to start with the 30 days and go from there.  For me, a lot changes in a month, and I know I'm going to have some big personal challenges throughout the summer so it's all about baby steps for me.

I'm hoping by the time this 30 days is over I'll have lost a dress size or two, and roughly 10 pounds or so (I'm very short so a couple pounds is all is takes for me to switch sizes normally).

Being stronger I guess is nice, too.  Honestly, I'm enjoying the extra physical activity.  It makes me happy and likely to do even more.  For example, I spent at least one evening this week doing bellydancing drills for 30 minutes and I've done about 30 minutes of yoga every day.  It's like one physical activity just lends itself to more.  And I love that.

No comments: